Thursday, November 26, 2009

New Lopi wool Hats

Here are some of the hats I made for the Kelowna Farmer's Market last Saturday. I did 'okay' at the market - meaning that I didn't lose any money. I didn't do that great, though either. I didn't see any of the crafters doing especially well. It seemed most people came for the apples, potatoes and bread. I will probably give it another try sometime. I'll let you know. In the meantime, I had a lot of fun making hats out of Lopi Wool died in great bright colours. Here are some of the ones left from the sale.

These first three are all ribbed hats. Erin appropriated the first one I made like this and wears it all the time. So at least they have her stamp of 'cool' approval. These hats are very comfortable and stretchy and fit any adult sized head from 21" - 24". It's because they are ribbed hats. They can be worn baggy like this or pulled down and folded up to have a brim. These first three are made from a variation of the 'Mika' pattern from the "Hip Knit Hats" book by Cathy Carron. (Great book!)

This one is in 'green apple' alafoss 100% Lopi wool. It easily fits from 21 - 24 inch heads.
$30


SOLD




This next one is exactly the same as the one above - just made from black 100% alafoss Lopi Wool. It fits from 21 - 24 inches and can be worn like this or with a folded brim.
$30




This last ribbed hat is the larger than the previous two and can easily accomodate dreads or some other big hairstyle. Or you can just wear it baggy like she is here. Erin's head is an adult's medium. Made from 100% alafoss Lopi Wool
$30






The last of the Lopi Wool hats is also made from a pattern in "Hip Knit Hats". In this case I followed the pattern exactly. It is the 'Cosima' hat. It fits a large head - 23 - 24 inches. Shown here on a 23" head. The ear flaps make it good for outdoor recreation and the thick lopi will will guarantee your head and ears stay warm!



And here is a teaser. This next hat I seem to sell as soon as I make it. I think it is the beautiful Noro yarn. It is 65% wool, 25% silk and 10 kid mohair. It is my own variation on the ' Vita' pattern in the "Hip Knit Hats". This one was ordered at the Kelowna Farmer's Market - a smaller one of the one I had available. And then someone came along and bought the larger one. And it is my most expensive hat, too! (because the yarn is so expensive!)

See, my young model really does have a size adult small head! Its all those brains, I say....heh!

2 comments:

Ms. M said...

I met a neat woman at fabricland one day Andrea, and she said she used to be a crafter and go to all the markets and that she made a decent living doing it, but then Wal-mart came along. She lives in Sicamous but the arms of Wal-mart are very long and have really killed the craft market, according to her anyway. That's an aspect of the Wal-mart dis-ease that is never mentioned, I guess because those folks who are affected are not the ones whose incomes are counted in any data or statistics. Isn't it ironic that "free-market" thinking effectively obliterates free markets.

Anonymous said...

Is there anyway that I can buy the pattern off of you? That would be soo great.